As a peaceful warrior, I would choose when, where and how I would behave.
With that commitment, I began to live the life of a warrior.
~Dan Millman

Sunday, November 19, 2006


The world is not yet exhausted;
let me see something tomorrow which I never saw before.

~Samuel Johnson



*
Just a little weekend note on the spinach concern. If you haven't noticed. It is back on the shelves. Eat it. Buying spinach from a local source is best. Wash it and enjoy! We here in California are enjoying every tender leaf.
*
Here is a little article that talks about the possible source of tainting. Really it is a little lesson in the cleanliness of our water. If you are not using a water filter, you should consider it. If they are allowing tainted water to spill over to crops, think about what is coming into your home. Your kitchen sink, your shower and bath, your washing machine...you take care to bring healthy foods into your kitchen, now washing them with chlorine, bacteria and other chemicals just seems wrong. More on water filters later. For today, just be aware.
*
http://www.mercola.com/2006/nov/18/the-simple-answer-to-the-insane-recall-of-organic-spinach.htm

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Jgirl!
Thanks for the links on soy / mercola, etc. Good stuff but now I'm all confused!;-)
Seriously, I will have to spend some time researching all the information but I didn't realize there was all the negative press out there pertaining to soy. Re: the fermented stuff- I love miso, but Natto..uh, no thanks! I'm 1/2 japanese so familiar with the fermented soy- I just don't remember my mom or relatives eating a ton of the stuff. Tofu-yes, Natto-no.
Having said all that, I am loving the idea of drinking healthy fruit / green smoothie shakes so any recipes you could post would be awesome (i read in your comment that you had found some good recipes).
Have a great week and healthy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Morning Mike! Over the years I have come to the conclusion that they want us to be confused! That way we'll gravitate toward the best advertising. When you step back and look at society, really, he who has the best presentation...makes the most money!

Anyway! Just keep looking for the answers that you can sleep with at night :-)

Below are a couple of quick recipes and a link to a great article (of course)!

Unknown said...

These make a quart of smoothie. Sometimes I add extra sunflower or pea sprouts, a stalk of celery for added alkalinity. You can really mix them up to your taste. They are super simple, but really make an impact! Enjoy...

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/articles/green_smoothies.html

Mango-parsley

2 large mangos
1 bunch parsley
2 cups Water


Strawberry-banana-romaine

1-cup strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 bunch romaine
2 cups Water


Pear-kale-mint

4 ripe pears
4-5 leaves of kale
1/2 bunch of mint
2 cups Water


Finger banana-spinach

10 finger-bananas
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
2 cups Water


Bosc pear-raspberry-kale

3 bosc pears
1 handful of raspberries
4-5 leaves of kale
2 cups Water

Unknown said...

Oh, yeah! I was suprised how great they taste. Even the kids enjoy them without prejudice. ~j