As a peaceful warrior, I would choose when, where and how I would behave.
With that commitment, I began to live the life of a warrior.
~Dan Millman

Wednesday, February 04, 2009


"The will to win is important,
but the will to prepare is vital."
~ Joe Paterno


Cruising down the road, hair flapping in the wind, sun on my face, radio turned up...I thought, life is good. Right now, right at this moment. Perfection.

But upon reflection, I realized that to get where I am today, it has been another journey. I didn't just stumble upon it. Decisions were made, work was done, tears spilled, friends made, family sacrifices, teamwork and the course has led me to today. Every so often I realize that the course of my life has changed, again. How did I get here this time? Was I paying attention? A little, yes, sort of.

If we are willing to prepare ourselves for the future we may be surprised at what lay ahead. It is when we keep the blinders on, bury ourselves in work or training or the neighborhood drama that we tend to get a little lost. One day you might look in the mirror and wonder who is staring back at you. Where did the time go? We will never be in a state of perfect balance, but we can have our eyes open and participate in this thing called life.

If you have come to the conclusion that you want to 'kick it up a notch' it will be an individual decision as to what that is for you. Have any dreams collecting cobwebs? Just make sure you take your what a step at a time. Be realistic. Push yourself a little though, you can handle it. Yes, you can. Last year, my mantra was...no excuses. And I found myself accomplishing things I never even imagined.

So, in light of the recent and awesome win by the Steelers (ROCK ON!) I thought it appropriate to share a little football quote. Winning is far more than a scoreboard and what you put into that impacts the outcome. A little preparation will make change happen in your life.

Sometimes you have to Slow Down. Look around, take inventory and do a little mini project management of your life. Maybe Stephen Covey would consider putting First Things First. Maybe you have found comfort in the Fly Lady and organization. Clear out the crap and let the light in to the deeper corners. There are many options and resources. I ask, "have you have found one that supports you?"

Are you prepared to win? Do you have the will?

Even if winning is spending more time with your family, improving your health, training for your first marathon, finding the warrior within, choosing an outreach program to support, visiting your grandmother.

'Slow down baby, you are going too fast, with your hands in the air and your feet on the gas!'

Thanks India Aire, you said it well! ~j

1 comment:

JeffO said...

Oh, whow. I think with me it's more of an insanity thing.
My son is my #1 priority, but beyond that I allow myself endeavors that, I hope, show him that the impossible is possible.
I also hope that my goals and efforts don't seem so extreme that they're stupid and uninspiring. Afterall, what good - really - does it do anyone if I run 100 miles?
So I'm never sure I'm doing the right thing.
But with copious insanity, I just throw all my crazy energy into my goals, lest I inflict them directly on others and scare them.