"Whatsoever that be within us that feels, thinks, desires, and animates, is something celestial, divine, and, consequently, imperishable." ~Aristotle
Genetically Modified Foods - This is a HUGE topic. One that is quickly closing in on us and has been around for more than a decade. Here is a brief intro of facts. Genetically altered foods, or frankenfoods as they have been fondly nicknamed. There is too much to go into in one blogging. It is a topic that we will re-visit. A large majority of foods that we eat are modified at the cellular level.
Let's start with a taste! Just consider in your mind for a moment, the words...genetically modified...
Quick Facts About Genetically Modified Crops
- The biotech industry has officially celebrated the planting of the billionth acre of genetically engineered crops.
- 75% of the world's genetically engineered crops are grown in the U.S. and Argentina.
- More than 90% of world's genetically engineered seeds were developed and sold by the Monsanto Corporation (planted predominantly with Monsanto's genetically modified corn, cotton, soybean and canola seeds).
- Monsanto's GE seed sales alone brought the company over $4 billion last year. Outside of GE seeds, Monsanto's past and present product-line has included Agent Orange, DDT, PCBs, rBGH and aspartame.
- Notable historic quote: "Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food.
- Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA's job." - Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications. "Playing God in the Garden" New York Times Magazine, October 25, 1998.
Learn more: http://www.organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm