If you don't know what to have for dinner tonight ...
The beautiful orange color of the squash reflects its rich concentration of vitamin A— 49% of your Daily Value! Combine the nutritional value of the squash with the side dish that will become a family favorite.of the for a
Steamedwith Red Chili Sauce
Prep and Cook Time: 23 minutes
- 1 medium sized butternut squash cut into 1 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup +1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health benefits.
- Bring 2 inches of water in a steamer to a boil.
- Cut squash into cubes and steam in a steamer with a tight fitting lid until al denté, about 5-6 minutes.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium size skillet. Healthy Saute onion in broth for 3 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently. Add garlic and spices and mix well. After about 1 minute add rest of broth and begin to simmer gently.
- When squash is al denté, almost done, but still firm on the inside, add to simmering sauce and cook together for another 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro.