Tuesday, April 21, 2009
While Earth Day is a great way to celebrate our planet, it's important to remember that protecting our planet is more than just a once-a-year event. There are small steps we can all do every day at home to help preserve our resources. To provide some help on the dental side, here's a short list of "home dental" tips that can help you "go green":
1. Turn It Off! Don't leave the water running while you're brushing. Turn it only to rinse your mouth and your brush (you don't even really need to use water before you brush!)
2. Go Natural. Next time you buy toothpaste, pick a natural option like Tom's rather than your normal choice. Natural toothpaste breaks down easier and helps protect our water ways.
3. Compost! Yup... compost. Buy a composting (or biodegradable) toothbrush. Typically made of corn starch, these brushes won't clog our landfill (and some can even help your garden grow!)
4. Soft as a baby's.... Don't brush so hard, slow down and be gentle on your gums. Not only will it save your gums, it will also make your toothbrush last a lot longer, saving you money and reducing waste.
5. Floss! You hear it all the time: "Flossing is the most important thing you can do for your teeth." But did you know flossing can also help the environment? By flossing regularly you'll help prevent major dental work, saving you money and reducing amount of chemicals most traditional dentists use when filling cavities.
It's that easy... five steps you can take at home that will make a difference for our planet. Give it a try the next time you brush!
The Center for Natural Dentistry
317 N. El Camino Real Ste. 106
Encinitas, California 92024