You will enjoy the extra flavor and nutrition in this easy-to-prepare recipe for asparagus.
Warm Asparagus Salad
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- ½ small onion cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 TBS vinegar, (rice, apple cider, or white wine)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 TBS chicken or vegetable broth - homemade is best!
- 7½ oz jar of roasted , drained and slivered or 2 medium red bell peppers sliced thin
- 1 TBS
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice onion and place in a small bowl with vinegar and hot water while preparing rest of the ingredients.
- Heat 3 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet.
- While broth is heating, snap off the woody bottom of asparagus stems, then cut the spears into 2-inch lengths. Cutting them into short pieces of equal length ensures quick, even cooking.
- When broth begins to steam, add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The outside will be tender and the inside will be crisp. Thinner spears will take about 3 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes remove onion from hot water and squeeze dry.
- Mix together roasted peppers with marinated onion, asparagus, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Marinate for 4-5 minutes and serve warm.
Optional: If you use fresh red bell peppers, Healthy Sauté them for 7 minutes and toss with rest of ingredients in place of roasted peppers. Serves 4